Who is this course for?
This course is a good starting point for developing the skills and techniques for the development of a personal mindfulness practice for teachers, youth workers and parents.
It is also a pre-requisite for teaching mindfulness to others, as recommended by the Good Practice Guidelines for Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses.
The course is based on scientific evidence from psychology, education and neuroscience along with the fundamental principles of mindfulness- based cognitive therapy (MBCT); including research with school students and teachers, with adaptations for teachers, youth workers and parents to use for themselves in the classroom and in the home environment. On Day 2 more advanced techniques and activities are practised that can help cope with difficulties and stress.
Day 1: Introduction Course will cover:
- The research evidence behind the mindfulness program for teachers, youth workers, parents and students.
- The facilities /conditions needed to develop a daily personal mindfulness practice.
- Basic mindfulness techniques – learning the stages of the techniques and trying the techniques for use in school or home environments.
- A personal development program for the 4 weeks following the introduction course with suggested techniques and activities to learn and to practise each day.
Day 2: Intermediate course will cover:
- Review and expansion of the basic mindfulness skills and techniques that participants can use in school or home environments in difficult and stressful situations.
- Learning the stages of new, more advanced, mindfulness techniques and trying out the techniques for themselves.
- A personal development mindfulness program for the 4 weeks following the intermediate course with suggested techniques and activities to learn and to practise each day, to help cope with difficulties and stress.
- Consideration of follow- on mindfulness courses that can be used with infant, primary and secondary students with an understanding of the potential for linking these mindfulness courses to the NSW school curriculum.
- A workbook is provided which gives a summary of the mindfulness practices and techniques, with access to guided audio mindfulness practices, which are provided alongside a textbook: ‘Mindfulness: a practical guide for finding peace in a frantic world’ by Mark Williams and Danny Penman (2011) Piatkus. The cost of the book is included in the course fees.
- It is useful to bring a mat and a cushion, for the activities we will do on the floor.